Monday, February 29, 2016

Fiction: Sable Antelope Creation

“Come my minion. Come to the sound of my voice! I know you can no longer see….after the incident. Ah! There you are! I want to introduce you to my newest creation. Mwhahahaah” I cackle madly, my lab coat swooshing around me to the crash of thunder as it vibrates the ancient castle clinging to the mountain. “Never before has anyone been prepared for what you are not about to see, Oh, and by the way, so sorry about that!”

With a giggle, I madly walk over to the switch. Inside the cage is a beast no one could ever be prepared for! I look over at my apprentice, annoyed that he will not be able to visually observe my creation. That is just as well. I will inform him of the creature’s obvious value. If he was still able to see I wouldn’t have to explain things, but well, I needed those eyes for a very important experiment! As for this newest experiment, oh, its unusual nature would be obvious, but the most valuable aspects of this creature would never be seen. It was said in great hunts, they would shoot these great creatures directly in the hearts and lungs, and still the great ebony beasts would continue to charge on.

“Minion. I am going to describe my creature to you so you understand the power of what we are working with here.” I explain to the waif as he carefully makes his way toward me, the sound of his staff clicking on the ground as he used it to maneuver carefully through the equipment. “This magnificent creature has most notable two tall horns stretching and curling over its head. From its far too-human eyes to its nose, its face dips down curving into large nostrils to breathe in deeply and a rounded mouth.”

“It has slender muscular arms ending in broad, thick hard claws. A soft fur covers the creature’s body. It has a long, shaggy mane and broad shoulders. The legs are strong but appear delicate and they bend back into a hock quite unlike normal human legs. The legs end in cloven hooves. However, it is what you cannot see that truly makes it fascinating.” I tell my minion.

“This creature is very unique endotherm, it has many physical qualities that allow it to excel over simple humans. I even checked its vitals, and when I checked its mucus membrane, I could tell it was healthy. This creature’s cilia lined nares open up to the nasal turbinates that humidify, filter and warm the air the being is breathing enters its meatus. Olfactory senses allow the creature to smell, giving it the ability to discern far more than we could as simple humans. Tonsils protect the upper throat and nasal cavities.” I explain to my minion.

“As a ruminant, this creature has frontal, maxillary, sphenoid, palatine, lacrimal and conchal sinuses, mucus making cavities that lighten bone and help create sound. Air then travels into the pharynx which is composed of the nasopharynx, oropharynx and laryngopharynx. Like us, when he swallows, the soft palate cuts off the nasopharynx to prevent the food from entering the nasal cavity. The epiglottis is what covers the nasal cavity when swallowing.

“Between the pharynx and the trachea is the larynx, or voice box. This is where the vocal cords make sound. And he is quite the singer…and bellower with an amazing range of sound. In the glottis you will find the vocal apparatus, vocal cords that allow air to go though the glottis like a chamber, to vibrate the vocal cords to produce sound. So there, you have it, I made a friend for us to talk to!”
My Half-human, Half-Sable Antelope Creation! Mwahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment