Monday, February 29, 2016

Exotic and Wildlife Medicine: A note on Iguana Anesthesia

I would bring isoflourane, supplemental healing such as water recirculating heating pads and set him up on them so that the ventilation is more effective. Propofol is used for restraint and anesthetic induction. Propofol should be given through IV or intraosseur catheter and it should be given slowly. It is eliminated from the system quickly. For Inhalant Anesthesia, the lizard should be intubated. Due to the trauma, I would recommend inhalant anesthesia over the Propofol. You do need to use general anesthesia, but nerve blocks are done for some digits and this could be done for the tail as well. Although the inhalant anesthetics may be used, Propofol which is good for regular, repeated anesthetics. The inhalant anesthetic isoflourane is what I would recommend for use during the surgery.
It would be ventilated and I would be I would be prepared to administer intermittent positive pressure ventilation. After this I would visualize respiration before draping if I had to administer intermittent positive pressure ventilation. I would maintain the isoflurane at 1.5-3% depending on the size of the lizard. I would place an IV catheter in the cephalic vein.
The patient would be intubated, since that should be done whenever possible. It is relatively easy for a sedated lizard and an iguana is large enough. To intubate the iguana, I would need lubricant, and a small tracheal tube (2mm to 4mm) depending on the iguana’s size. I would wear protective gloves and watch closely for any issues. Using the inhalant anesthesia will help the lizard recover faster. I would use a heart monitor. I would monitor the amount of oxygen the iguana is taking in. After the surgery, I would provide appropriate lighting and heating to the lizard. I would leave the lizard with the water recirculating heating pads.

No comments:

Post a Comment