Monday, February 29, 2016

Exotic and Wildlife Medicine: A Note on Chelonian Anesthesia

First, I would check over how the health of the tortoise is. I would begin with a visual check and determining vitals. I would obtain a history and after performing the physical examination I would ensure I knew if it was safe to work on. When taking radiographs, I would be careful not to turn the tortoise on its side because it would case detrition in the visceral and lungs and reproductive organs. The views I would take are dorsoventrally (DV), lateral and anterior-posterior views. This may be done when placing the tourtise on the table. IT will probably stay long enough. I would use a horizontal beam for the lateral and a anterior-posterior views. I would elevate it using a round container under the plastron and I would be sure to keep it from contacting the container.
For bloodwork, I would be prepared to draw blood from a variety of sites. Jugular, brachial, subcarapacial, femoral veins, tail (Ventral and dorsal, heart, and occipital sinus are all blood draw locationsI would have heparinized tubes, alcohol swabs, 20 guage needle in a 3 cc syringe to ensure proper blood collection from one of these sites. My first choice would be to draw from the brachial vein, but my second choice would be to draw from the subcarapacial vein.
 I would keep it in sternal position. I would assess it for anesthetic risk. It would be well hydrated, so I would ensure that was done before anesthesia. Since environmental temperature is important, I would ensure they are kept at the POTZ and warmer when recovering. I would prepare knowing the use of parenteral drugs will be used, but I Will check. I will prepare the equipment before hand. This means that there will be a mask used. So I will prepare this. They may be done with  chamber induction, but I Think this one will be done with a mask. I can manipulate the limps in and out to in crease the anesthetic agents uptake.
Knowing this, I would ensure there is room to do this. IM and IV routes are normally used or induction administration. I would ensure there is an EKG monitor nearby. An ultrasonic Doppler will be nearby too. I would ensure that some supplies such as a cotton tip applicator will be available and potentially a speculum and anything else the doctor may require. I will use items as needed to properly induce then I will monitor using the aforementioned supplies. I will also use a pulse oximeter with a cloacal probe to ensure the animal is receiving enough oxygen. I will be prepared to use intermittent partial pressure ventilation.

No comments:

Post a Comment