Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Workplace Bullying

Bullying and horizontal violence need to be addressed by all members of the workplace. If I should witness something like that, I would stick up against the bully. If someone were to gossip, I would walk away. I understand that I should communicate with management so I would do that immediately. I would offer my skills to the employee to help them learn

There should be a workplace culture that supports the staff. If there are issues that allow the horizontal workplace to exist, they must be eliminated. It should first be recognized and acknowledged that there is such violence occurring. The management should be encouraged to continuously integrate the culture of cooperation and if there are any issues of horizontal workplace, they should be addressed. To ensure this is possible, I would communicate if I see any issues. There should be ways for staff member’s to effectively communicate what is happening to them. It would be management’s responsibility to post a statement addressing how people should act. All members of the staff should be talked to by the management to see that they understand the issues and that any occurrences are addressed. All staff should be provided the same opportunities to learn and grow. Staff should also be provided training on how to eliminate lateral violence.

Understanding that these are some of the basic guidelines, and what kinds of issues could happen from horizontal workplace, I would strive to do what I could to help resolve the issue/. I would name the issue, such as using the term “horizontal violence” in reference to the situation. Raising the issues at staff meetings may break the silence, allowing people to come forward. Asking the workplace if they have a method for handling the issue is important. If they do have a method, there should be a distribution of information. It has even been recommended to journal the situation. It is important to keep track of problems and how it is mentally affecting me and the other staff.

As a staff member, I could help reduce problems in this way by speaking up when I witness it, naming it for what it is and being supportive to the other staff. This can be as simple as counseling, peer support, meditation, exercise and more. To help with other staff, I could provide myself as a willing listener. It would be helpful in some situations to assist management by providing information. This can be simple enough, such as providing tips, such as what to do in the event of horizontal violence. Management should be made aware of the issues that can be caused from horizontal violence. If the violence is prevalent in the business, and it may be inflicted by management, then information must be addressed so that they understand how dangerous it is.

There are many problems and issues that can be expected from lateral violence. It could be high staff turnover, errors, low productivity, low self esteem and/or morale, disconnection, depression, insomnia or sleep disorders, anxiety and issues with relationships and more. These issues may even lead to memory dysfunction and activation of the brain’s circuit breakers. This could result in a perpetual form of disassociation which can cause forgetfulness and speechlessness. There are many aspects to how someone can react to the flight or fight response. Many people fear speaking out because they may be the next target or their job may be at risk. Post Traumatic Stress can also result.

I should also tend to myself, by ensuring that my needs are met. I can help reduce stress in myself through peer support, good nutrition, time out, sleep, meditation, massage, meditation and more. Self-caring behavior helps to reduce stress. I can manage myself in a self-aware way, helping to reduce any issues that could result from my activities. Counseling may be important and can be helpful support. I would want to gain confidence in my veterinary skills so I would read veterinary texts and manuals.

Management needs to be aware of the signs of workplace horizontal violence. Creating groups or cliques, gossip, intimidation, manipulation, harassment, exclusion and other ways of making someone feel bad are all signs. If there is a lack of respect, it goes into a downward spiral. Employees may react angrily and lash out at their co-workers. Empowering employees often helps direct them and gives them more morale. This helps everyone to get along and may take the stress off other employees. When you go to speak to employees, you should be proactive by documenting violent situations and schedule a private meeting. If I were to witness such a situation, I would mention this to the person who received the violence and I would tell them to give specifics. They should be encouraged to leave emotions out of it, and only to detail direct facts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment