Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Fiction: Phoenix

When I first rescued Phoenix, the African Grey, he was not doing very well. The psittacine had been in the care of an individual who was not taking proper care of him. He had Vitamin A deficiency and had developed the Candida. This infection displayed itself as white lesions around the throat and mouth. He had been vomiting. He had very little appetite. He had made very few droppings. He had feathery stains above the cere from his nostrils which had a discharge. Immediately, I took over his care since his owner had no money and basically gave the clinic the bird.
I ensured that he got the treatment he needed. We began by determining what he had, which was through a mouth swab. We were able to determine how severe it was and to determine it was thrush. It was still able to be taken under control even though he was nearly listless and had stopped eliminating. The blood tests were able to confirm he was sick because the Vitamin A deficiency was so bad. I disinfected everything and he was given 7 days of Myocastin treatment. He was kept separate from all animals and people while he was being cared for. His nutrition was adjusted. I talked to him from the other side of the door so that he had some companionship. He was given foods rich in Vitamin A, such s dark leafy greens and orange colored produce.
Soon, he was feeling much better and his plumage began to look nicer. When I finally got to get him out of quarantine, he was so affectionate. I was able to pet his breast and he rubbed his forehead on my cheek. His syrinx was working! He immediately said “I love you!” right after I did. I love my new found friend, Phoenix! I got him all new toys, a new cuttlebone and sanitary food. He will need to be watched carefully, since he is potentially more susceptible to more sicknesses.
SOURCE: 
http://www.beautyofbirds.com/candida.html

No comments:

Post a Comment