Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Presenting Your Professional Skills

I would begin by providing a list of the classes and an overview of what the instruction was in a binder. I have printouts of much of what I have done work on, and I would be sure to include that, with a skills list. Today, many resumes have a skills section, but since the skills list is so long for a veterinary technician, it may be more appropriate to summarize them into sections. I would be sure to speak to the veterinarian and let them know of my skills.

I would take the initiative to volunteer to take over work when it is something I have been trained in. I would work out with the veterinarian what qualifies as “technical skills” that the technicians are trained in. This would help simplify the process.  Being present when needed and willing to help is vital. Effectively helping in as many situations as possible is important. It is good to provide documentation of your training, such as a class list, certificates and degrees. It is good to print out a “manual” of projects from training.

Technicians need a lot of training. Some skills must be demonstrated, while others need to have a hand’s on skill level. Technicians normally have training in office procedures, hospital procedures, pharmacy, pharmacology, nursing, anesthesia, laboratory procedures, imaging, laboratory animals, knowledge of surgical nursing and training in animal care and handling for a variety of species. I would read veterinary books and magazines to keep the information and training I have up to date. I would attend seminars and training events when possible and share my findings with the veterinarian and other staff if they were interested.

I would first organize all of this, and a private presentation with the veterinarian if possible. It would be an opportunity for me to discuss what I can help with and what specialized skills I have training in and can work with. When presenting to the veterinarian, I would be sure to have all the information organized so the meeting goes quickly and effectively with a good impact. Knowing that veterinarians are busy, I would provide as much information as quickly as possible without overwhelming. Providing a potential list of how it would monetarily affect businesses may be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment